I have to say, in the furby custom world, it’s SO MUCH EASIER to work with the orginal mechanical furbies than the furby booms without the flippy eyes. The mech eyes are what makes a furby great, people.
I had a packet of terracotta coloured DAS just begging to be used for this furby. So i started assembling. It kind of evolved. I also used some two part epoxy modelling putty to do around the eyes and mouth to get the right puckered look I wanted.
I had used my airbrush a few times to do undercoats and stuff but this furby I decided to try a bit harder and do the bulk of the painting. The terracotta was perfectly fine as the undercoat. I was going for a flesh colour but kind of a nasty, horrible, lives-in-a-moist-cave kind of look, with mottles. I layered up the paint, there is red and green and blue under the final layer to add depth (it’s just like underpainting in oils!).
What i found airbrushing was I need to make sure my paint is not cloggy and to premix the paints before spraying. It’s a process I need to skill up on. I spent more time unclogging the nozzle than i did actually painting.
“Please wait while the nozzle is calibrating”