Given I bought more furbies than can ever be said to be healthy, it was time to customise the second one.
I didn’t want to do a long furby this time. But I did still have all the innards of the first furby from taking it apart, and this plus all the innards from the second furby meant I had a lot of wires, cogs, wheels, chips, and plastic bits.
I really didn’t plan this one at all and noodles away with it. I painted it green and that was the point when I started gluing on all the bits and pieces. I had to go through all the storage boxes to find the glue gun at this point – had never actually used a glue gun before! I also stuck it’s feet and tail back on and painted those green. At this point, having not disassembled it as much as the other furby, I knew I couldn’t get in from behind and do the eyes, but I was going a bit YOLO and thought I’d see what happened as I went.
I painted the furby in a metallic bronze acrylic paint and it sat like that for quite some time as it didn’t look bad but it was lacking. After a bit i started painting all the crevices in black and i also watered down some black an washed it over the furby. This is where model painters acrylic might have been better, but i just used the paint i had.
When this was dry, i painted the eyes in, and then gave them a thin coat of uv resin for the shine. I gave the mouth also a shine, and I dry brushed on white highlights and brightened it up here and there and darkened it up here and there. Voila. Steampunk furby!